Saturday, July 26, 2014

Randomly (re)starting a Chaos Warband - and the hazards of rolling dice

Now that I've actually read more about starting a WHFB 3rd Chaos Warband, I've decided to follow the lead of Orlygg, by way of Oldhammer in the New World, and place my fate in the hands of the Chaos gods.  Khorne, to be precise.
All old school - except the iPad.  


Unfortunately, the dice don't always lead you to where you had hoped to go.  Dwarves?  No.  Skaven?  Uh-uh.   Barbarian?  Nope.  Undead?  Zip, nada.

Here's what I wound up with:
And the Chaos gods laughed.

Champion of Khorne
  • Starting Profile Race: Dark Elf
  • Profile : Elf 15 Hero
  • Chaos Armour
  • Attribute One: Bestial Face (positive)
  • Attribute Two: Long neck (cosmetic)

Retinue

  • 3 Hobgoblins (light armour, shield, hand weapon)
  • 11 Beastmen (light armour, shield, hand weapon or two-handed weapon)
I don't know enough to tell if this is a "good" Warband or not.  My guess is that 11 Beastmen will certainly come in handy.  But that's not the point.  I just wanted to paint up some cool old minis and have some fun.  

I've never been a fan of Elves, light or dark, and I had no idea that Citadel even made a Hobgoblin model or what it looked like (turns out they're tall Goblins . . . or maybe skinny Orks).  And collecting and painting 11 old, lead Beastmen seems like it may take more of my cash and time than I had hoped.  But, then, that is the point - getting outside of your comfort zone, learning something new and going on the hunt for new minis you didn't know existed.

I have to say, this isn't the army I'd have picked, but I'm excited to head down a new, unexpected path.  And now, with a need to brush up on Dark Elf lore, I have a reason to start reading the 763 page Malus Darkblade novel that I've been using as a footstool:
Picked up for $1 at a library sale.  Dan Abnett?  Yes please!


3 comments:

  1. Well, That is a great start! Can't wait to see what you actually pull off! Hope you have fun! But I'm sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the spirit of Oldhammer, you could always go with non-GW figures. For a variety of cheap alternative beastmen, check out these figures from the Mage Knight line: Demolishing Ape, Desert Ape, Feral Bloodsucker, Rancid Bloodsucker, Stone Boar, Ram Warrior, Talon Warrior, Wearbear, and Wereraven.

    ReplyDelete