Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Oldest Lead (and, more observations about pants)

I have two older minis sitting around gathering dust, so I figured I'd waste my (and your) time by throwing them into the ad hoc photo studio for historic archival preservation.  And to record them for insurance purposes as well, as I'm sure their value is in the low to mid one figures.  Each.

First up, a funky little Ral Partha from 1979:
This mini is really quite small, but has a decent amount of detail for the time.  He came into my possession in 1988, when he was only nine years old - but even then, he seemed ancient.  Perhaps if I gave him an article of clothing, I'd set him free.

His pole arm has gone a bit wonky, but otherwise he's survived in good shape.  I've painted, stripped, and repainted him several times.  Just can't quite get the details right, as he's so small.
1979, baby.  Good news - the Sex Pistols were #32 on the UK charts that year.  Bad news - Art Garfunkel was #1.  That guy was like Ringo - but in a two man band!  He just skipped right over Paul and George.  Sort of like this guy.  And here I always thought the English had such great taste in music.
As he appeared in the catalogue.  I have no idea what's tucked in his left arm. Maybe his lucky femur?
Next up, a Grenadier mini from 1985, showing off an asymmetrical armour look:
Er, kinda skinny.  Unlike most fantasy monsters, I'm pretty sure I could take this guy.  His sword doesn't even look sharpened, and his shield is the size of a frisbee.  Plus, no pants.  Going to war Donald Duck style?  No thank you.  

I've been looking at this dude for a quarter century and, still, I have no idea what those two stick thingies are attached to his back.  Please let me know if you have any idea.  Seriously.
Very hard to see, but in addition to "GRENADIER" and "1985" stamped into the base,  there is a light engraving of "S-73".    I couldn't find him in the contemporaneous catalogues on line, so please let me know if he looks familiar.
Here's a final picture, with one of my generic blue space marines for scale reference:
Told you the Ral Partha guy was small.
Oh, and in 1985, the proto-indie-poptronica outfit Pet Shop Boys were holding fast at #85 on the U.K. charts with the classic "West End Girls."  Meanwhile, someone named Jennifer Rush was at #1 with "Power of Love".  You're killing me, England, just killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment