Thursday, March 26, 2015

Speed Paint Challenge - Psyker!

My money is on Speedy Gonzales!
So, recently Magpie and Old Lead and the incomparable Orlygg posted about their efforts doing the one-hour speed painting challenge.

I've always thought about attending one of those contests at a GW store, but for some reason never thought about doing it by myself at home.  Since I didn't have to leave the house, and have no issues with jumping on the latest bandwagon . . .  Challenge Accepted!
Psyke!  So '80's.
I started with a GW "Psyker 2" mini.  I didn't have much in the way of a plan, other than wanting to start with a white basecoat (something I've never done before) and to use uber-80's colors, in keeping with the Rogue Trader aesthetic.

Also, I wanted to do a time-lapse video, so I could prove I only took an hour . . . and use that new function on my iPhone to see if it actually worked.

Here's the video:

And here's the finished product:







Things I'm happy about:

  • Had time to paint the eye.
  • The brass with silver highlights worked well, though I had originally hoped to paint it gold.
  • Highlights on the purple bits and the pinkish face.
  • Made a leopard skin shoulder pad, though the ink wash kind of covered it up.
  • Using a hair dryer really saved time.

Things I wish I had done better:

  • Prepared different color washes, instead of a just one heavy black ink wash.
  • Had more brushes on hand, so I didn't spend so much time rinsing.
  • Highlighted the cape, which looks downright dirty.
  • Not painted the teeth (or tooth, perhaps), so he doesn't look like Snaggletooth.
  • Painted the staff with some additional colors.
  • Painted the purity seals.  Totally missed those!

So, the one hour painting challenge turned out to be more challenging than I expected.  I was rushed quite a bit at the end.  That said, I think it helped sharpen my painting skills, exposed some weaknesses, and inspired me to set up a production line operation to finish up the 30 blood angels that still need attention.  Sometimes, a hastily painted force is better than a half-painted one.

My only question is whether to touch up the mini, or leave it alone as "done"- thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to see your one hour efforts!  And thanks to Magpie and Old Lead and Orlygg for the inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment